**PLEASE NOTE: THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW ARE NOT MEANT FOR I-SERIES DEVICES. IF BEAM IS USED ON AN I-SERIES DEVICE YOU WILL NO LONGER HAVE ACCESS TO MAKING/RECEIVING PHONE CALLS"
The Beam app allows users who have Android phones and Bluetooth capable PCs to use Communicator 5 to send and receive text messages. Please follow the steps below for instructions to set it up.
- First update the Android OS on your phone if needed. Then open the Google Play store.
- Search for Tobii Dynavox in the Google Play store and Beam will appear as one of the apps available for download. Download Beam.
- On the Windows PC, open Windows Settings by selecting the Windows icon in the task bar and choose the Settings icon which looks somewhat like a gear.
- Select Devices
- If not chosen already, select Bluetooth & other devices on the left side of the screen.
- Make sure Bluetooth is turned on.
- Select Add Bluetooth or other device
8. Select "Bluetooth" on the next screen:
9. Follow the steps on the screen to pair your phone with your PC. You will need to make sure your phone's Bluetooth is On and Visible or Discoverable. Once the pairing is complete you will see your phone listed under Other devices.
10. On the phone, open the Beam app and select Connect Phone.
11. Now open Communicator 5 and enter Advanced Settings.
12. Select the Applications tab and choose Mobile Phone.
12. Locate your phone in the list and select Connect
13. You will receive a pop up on your phone telling you that it is connecting and the next screen on the Communicator device will show it is synchronizing. Synchronizing typically takes a good amount of time. The more text messages stored on your phone, the longer it will take to synchronize.
14. When synchronizing is complete, the status changes to Connected. Select OK and you can now send and receive text messages. The phone must remain within 30 feet of the PC with no walls between the two.