Boardmaker Core First Learning is a web-based program delivered through Boardmaker Online that helps your students learn the meaning, use, and placement of high-frequency core words on their AAC system. The instructional sequence includes a series of reading, writing, and language activities that support student learning.
- To access Boardmaker Core First Learning select Curriculum. Here you will find Core First Learning and other Boardmaker Instructional Solutions.
- On the landing page, you will see folders for each of the words targeted in the set. You will also see Digitized Device Overlays, Print Communication Boards, and Program Documentation.
- Select Program Documentation. Within this folder you will find:
- Program Overview
- Core First Learning White Paper
: It is recommended that you download and read through these documents before you go on.
- Within the Digitized Device Overlays folder, you will find printable core word page sets for a variety of devices.
- Select a set of words to begin. Each set contains 12 words and contains a Resources folder. Within this folder you will find:
- Table of Contents
- Quick Lesson Guide
- Quick Lesson Guide for Parents
- The Quick Lesson Guide and Home Quick Lesson Guide are the scope and sequence for each unit, providing you and families with a guide to the activities in the unit and the order in which to present them.
- Select the unit name to open the documents and activities for the targeted core word.
Each of the folders within Core First Learning contains a complete unit of study with a focus on one core word. These units may be reordered according to your needs and judgment.
- Download and print the Parent Letter. The Parent Letter can be sent home at the beginning of each unit to communicate the targeted core word. It also provides suggestions and strategies for practicing at home.
- Download and print or view the Lesson Plan. This is your detailed script for introducing and guiding students through each day’s interactive instructional activities.
- The remaining items in the folder are your interactive and printable activities. Use the Quick Lesson Guide or Lesson Plan to determine the sequence of activities.
- Use the yellow toolbar beside each activity to play, assign, or move an activity to your playlist.
- Repeat this process for each core word unit.